and other interesting facts about Amsterdam
23.09.2013 21 °C
Here are some things I learned about Amsterdam :
- The waste water in Amsterdam contains the highest concentration of cocaine in the world.
- This probably also explains the way people cycle in Amsterdam (!) Cyclists have right of way, even over pedestrians. I kept having to dodge cyclists until I figured it out.
- On average, 50 people a year fall into the canals and have to be rescued. Most of these people are drunk tourists.
- The canals of Amsterdam are full of bicycles, so if you decide to go for a swim in a canal , you'll probably get impaled on one.
- The average height of a Dutch woman is 170 cms. Which means that I was a frickin' midget, though apparently Dutch men find small curvy Indian girls tres exotique.
- The highest point in Amsterdam is only 2.2 metres above sea level. The lowest is around 5 metres below sea level
- I found many bizarre shops in the city - The Condomerie (highly recommended for Valentines Day) - http://condomerie.com/ & a shop dedicated to toothbrushes, which was across the street from the Kit Kat shop
- I also realised that I heart Amsterdam.